Форум

Форум (http://friends-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Английский Язык (http://friends-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Lets speak English (Английский клуб) (http://friends-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17187)

NetSkipper 29.01.2006 07:35

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
NetSkipper,
Well, as long as you don't urinate against the wind it's ok, man. :-)

Nah, of course not.. :-D I have my limits..

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Oh, and about public library - been there, done that. I've read everything they had to offer, both in english and russian when I was about 17.

Well, sory to hear that, but our library is huge, and the books inventory is getting better and better and they renew it constantly. Besides, if I want a particular book, I can ask them to purchase it. They do it with pleasure.
Once I've started to read a series of books by Tom Clancy, named "Net Force" (in english). When I saw at the internet that there is 2 new books came out, I even didn't have to ask, I told them, by the way, that there is 2 more books, and for my surprise, after a while I found them on the shelves and completed the series.
By the way, they gonna buy the RAMA series in english soon, also requested by me. :oops:

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Yeah, I'm old fashioned, I admit it. I realy don't mind the dust on the books. Moreover, when I come to someone's house for the first time, and I don't really know the person yet, first thing I notice is - books on shelves. If there are no books ... well, I find it strange. :roll:
And I can't read even from large screen of my PC, it makes my eyes tired. No, there is nothing better for me and for the whole experience of reading, than to turn the pages over, to feel the book (I like them BIG:wink:), and even the smell of paper... :-) No electronic book can replace that for me. Maybe, in several years time, my kid will laugh at me, but I'll keep buying real books; and when I can aford it - I'll have a small library of my favorites.

Yeah, bring it on partner! (c) Give me five!
Well, you won't find books at my shelves, only because I borrow them from library, but I can assure you, when I'll have my own crib, my shelves will be loaded. :|

*LEO* 29.01.2006 14:22

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
Well, sory to hear that, but our library is huge, and the books inventory is getting better and better and they renew it constantly. Besides, if I want a particular book, I can ask them to purchase it. They do it with pleasure...
... by the way, that there is 2 more books, and for my surprise, after a while I found them on the shelves and completed the series.
By the way, they gonna buy the RAMA series in english soon, also requested by me. :oops:...

I suppose, you live in heaven? :wink:

name777 30.01.2006 00:19

Tom Clancy rules! A new star in Fleming's field. He's good as an author, and I like playing his games as well.

*LEO* 30.01.2006 05:53

Tom Clancy - Who is he?

NetSkipper 30.01.2006 09:03

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
I suppose, you live in heaven? ;-)

In books heaven, maybe ;-)

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
A new star in Fleming's field.

Well.. he kinda different from Fleming, if you ask me.. Clancy is more.. political, more inside of the War Room..

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Tom Clancy - Who is he?

Tom Clancy? I'll bet you saw at least one of the movies that were made by his books..

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
Tom Clancy rules!

It's a good thing that we mentiod him, because it made me do a little search on the net, and I've found that Tom Clancy prticipated in one of the Sipmsons series, called Diatribe Of A Mad Housewife in 2004, and that soon there will be release of a new, 10th book in the Net Force series called The Archimedes Effect (I'm excited already)..

name777 30.01.2006 13:39

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
Well.. he kinda different from Fleming, if you ask me.. Clancy is more.. political, more inside of the War Room..

Agree... He's definitely not a pop-star :) BTW "different than" ;)

NetSkipper 31.01.2006 10:36

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
He's definitely not a pop-star :-)

I won't say that Fleming is a "pop-star" either, but yeah, Fleming is more adventurer, and more down with the people..
Anyway, each one of them have his one unique style of writing, and it's better for us..

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
BTW "different than" ;-)

:oops: thanx.

*LEO* 02.02.2006 10:09

Guys, I'm sorry that I couldn't chat with you on the Flemming issue, don't have the slightest idea what you were talking about. :-)
A huge gap in my aducation, I suppose.

There is something else, though, I wanted to discuss with you guys...

What do you think about... weather? :?
I mean, for the last couple of years.
I also wanted to ask you, have you seen a movie "The day after tomorrow". Catching up yet?:lol:

My husband can't stop talking about it. The fact, that we often see the Discovery, Discience and such - that doesn't help at all.
Do you think, that apocalyps is near?

(name777 - I may have made lots of mistakes in this post. You're free to correct me.)

name777 02.02.2006 14:23

Fleming is the author of famous "007" series. You might have seen some movies about "Bond, James Bond". :)

Wheather (damn, hate this word, it always make me use a spellchecker ;) ).
Well, I kinda lost track of what's going on in eastern hemisphere, but I know for sure that it's gone crazy in the western one. I wouldn't call that apocalypse, because it's all just aftermaths of global warming thing. And definitely North America is the biggest contributor to this problem. American cars are just nuts in terms of consuming gas and polluting the atmosphere. And the whole continent's economy is based on automobiles only! There's no serious railroad network to help transporting goods, so everything is being carried on the huge tracks, and everybody's travelling in their cars mostly. Can you imagine a traffic jam on a freeway during a rush hour that involves thousands of cars, and 90% of those cars have only one passenger, which is actually a driver of the vehicle? That's what's happening here. And North America is impacted by Golfstream big time; therefore, the air streams look weird too. That's why all these hurricanes and tornados happen here much more often then in the other places. And of course last hurricanes in Carribean region have impacted all the weather around. Cathrina floods huge peace of land -> water evaporate more actively -> humidity increases -> air temperature goes up -> everyone's screwed :)
On the other hand Europe may get opposite effect, since everything is supposed to be balanced on this planet.

It's 2nd of February, but we've had only 2 or 3 good snowfalls during this winter, and it's all dry and clean now, and the temperature above zero. This is very extreme for Toronto. But we've already had 3 freezing rains this year. That's another phenomena of North America, specifically Canadian part of it. It happens when warm and humid air from Carribean finds its way to our region, and when it meets cold air from Arctic this shit happens - warm air always goes above the cold layer, and when it starts raining up above, the warm water doesn't turn to flakes, while falling through the cold air, but freezes at the very moment of hitting the ground. Everything gets covered with ice. Damn dangerous :(

NetSkipper 03.02.2006 08:17

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
have you seen a movie "The day after tomorrow"

Yep, nice movie.. Well made ;-)

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
What do you think about... weather?

Umm... Nothing.. :mrgreen: I don't know what to think. I watch Discovery also, but what should I think? They are the scientists, and they know better than me.. If there will by apocalypse, than it will be, there is nothing I as a person can do. I even don't have a car..

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
Wheather (damn, hate this word, it always make me use a spellchecker ;-)).

Well, I suggest that you'll throw your spellchecker away ;-) :mrgreen:

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
Well, I kinda lost track of what's going on in eastern hemisphere, but I know for sure that it's gone crazy in the western one.

name777, what's your occupation again? ;-) I think that you can be one hell of a synoptic. ;-)

name777 03.02.2006 13:54

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
I think that you can be one hell of a synoptic.

Naah, I just meant it gone very unusual for our region. Today it's f..in' raining!!!

NetSkipper 03.02.2006 14:04

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
Naah

Heh.. The wat you describe it, won't shame any professional in this bussiness.. ;-)
In Israel there are also periodic rains today.. :-(

name777 03.02.2006 14:06

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
The wat you describe it, won't shame any professional in this bussiness..

Thanks, my friend :)

*LEO* 05.02.2006 06:09

Well, I don't have a car neither, I don't even have a licence.:-P

But I did talk with several people about this issue. Some of them say exactly the same thing as you, NetSkipper: "Well, it's not my business, what can I do about it, anyway?". Of course, there is nothing you can do ABOUT IT.

Scientsts speak about global warming, and what it may cause. One says something, the other says something else - there is no agreement on almost anything. But me - I'm getting scared here. Not panicking, but still - I have a bad feeling about this. And one thing I would do - is tracking on those things. Well, I already do it. and it's getting scaryer each year. Almost in every part of the world there's been something strange going on. People notice too warm summers, too rainy/snowy/cold winters. All those phenomenons like cunami, hurricanes, floods, volcanoes, earthquakes - there is too much of them lately, and they are getting stronger.:?

Some friends of mine - they just say, that a hundred years ago and fearther back in time we never made notes about weather, the information we have about the past is not accurate. So, they say, those things have happened before - we just don't have any information about it.
But we have geologists studying this also, they can "move back in time", and so they do...
Scientists also talk about magnetic fields of the earth changing every ones in a while, and it's been a long time scince they've changed the last time... Every "switching" like that will make the weather on earth go mad.
I'm not trying to give you an information of ALL films from discovery channel here, :lol: I'm just telling there is something strange going on letely. People think it's something very distant we're talking about, but I actualy suspect that the movie I mentioned was like a prophesy. I think it might happen realy quick, (matter of years, not ages) , and if it will - it's the end of the world as we know it. Not apocalyps, but close enough.
Am I losing it then?:wink:

NetSkipper 05.02.2006 22:53

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
I don't even have a licence

Me neither

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Am I losing it then?

No, you don't. I think you're not the only one who at some point if his/her life thought about this issue. It is hard to do or move something as individual, it should be done within groups if common interests.. Green Peace, etc..
If you think that you have strong feelings for this issue, and you can contribute something, then, your are most welcom. I think that they'll be more than glad to have you as a member in their endless struggle.
But I think that this is not what you planned to do with your life, so as much you want to be involved, and concern stronlgy about the issue, all that you can do, is to watch National Geographic, Discovery, etc..

An if
Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
it's the end of the world as we know it

(R.E.M.? Right?;-)) then so be it..

*LEO* 06.02.2006 05:58

NetSkipper,
R.E.M., right. :lol:
I'm beginning to think you're a fatalist, is that so?

I don't thing joining Green Peace will make any difference. The damage is done. And now I think there is nothing we can do about it, really. Just wait and see...

BTW, I once found in the net a map of possible future - if there will be floods in all over the world (global warming, icebergs melting, etc.). Almost all Europe will be gone.
Oh, and there will be only memories left of Israel. :-o
Or so they say. :-) Someone made this map accordingly to the sea level. Good news to name777 - most of the Canada will remain, because in most places they are too high above the sea level. Shame about Europe, though, ha... :?

NetSkipper 06.02.2006 06:27

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly

What does it mean "a fatalist"? :oops:

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
BTW, I once found in the net a map of possible future - if there will be floods in all over the world

Just like in the "Waterworld" movie, with Kevin Costner, huh?

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Good news to name777 - most of the Canada will remain, because in most places they are too high above the sea level.

Let's move to Canada then. I'll be more than glad ;-).

*LEO* 06.02.2006 06:30

I wish I could move to Canada. There are lots of reasons to. :lol:

Fatalist - is a person, who belives that our fate is inevidble; that if something is ment to happen - you can do nothing and will do nothing, because you believe in your fate.

NetSkipper 06.02.2006 06:41

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
I wish I could move to Canada. There are lots of reasons to. :lol:

Can you name some of them?

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Fatalist - is a person, who belives that our fate is inevidble; that if something is ment to happen - you can do nothing and will do nothing, because you believe in your fate.

Oh, right! No, I'm not that kind of person.

Let me answer like I always answer to that question..
Цитата:

Сообщение от Morpheus
Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Цитата:

Сообщение от Neo
No.

Цитата:

Сообщение от Morpheus
Why not?

Цитата:

Сообщение от Neo
Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

The Matrix (1999) ©

*LEO* 06.02.2006 11:46

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
Can you name some of them?

Well, there are plenty... :-o
Education - maybe not for me, I'm too old for this, but I don't want my daughter in israelian education system.
Culture - is there such a thing in Israel at all? I don't think so. If there is, I would like to live in more "european" atmosphere, and not in the "middle-east". If you understand me...
Nature - I'll never be able to live without forests, trees. I don't like sand and rocks; I grew up 100 meters from the nearest forest...
Scale - it's a small country, with a small market. Even if you have talent, aducation, and god knows what else - you can not be always sure that you'll find your niche here. Unless you have good connections or lots of money - which I don't have. I think in a larger place with big market will be more opportunities.
Neighbors - well, there is nothing to explain here. They can scare anybody.
War - I would like to live in more peacefull place.
Nationality - I'm jewish only from my father's side, and I've eaten enough sh... because of this. I don't feel that I have all the rights here (for example - I can not get married.) The same goes for my kid - she'll have to deal with this also, or to go through "giur", and I don't see why should she.

About the Matrix quote - I totaly agree with you. I don't belive in fate.

NetSkipper 06.02.2006 20:05

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Aducation - maybe not for me, I'm too old for this, but I don't want my daughter in israelian aducation system.

Education ;-)
True. I'm now deep inside of that system, and I'm getting a more closer look of how it works.. or.. how it does NOT work.

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Culture

Well, every culture has it own qualities. In every culture you can find something beautiful, something you'll like. But even so, you're right, the Israelis, generally speaking, has what I'm callin'.. lack of mentality, or.. it's noexistance..

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Nature

Well, I like forests also, but I like the ocean (or in our case, the sea) too..
My biggest dream is, a tree house in the middle of a small forest, or on the cliff near the ocean..

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Scale....
Unless you have good connections or lots of money

Unfortunately this is so damn true. Connections here are everything.

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Neighbors

Neghbours ;-)
Do you mean neighbour countries I assume.. Yeah, scary..

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Nationality

Well.. I'm a proud and pure jewish, but if I'll eventually hook up with non-jewish girl, or half-jewish, there are gonna be troubles I'm sure of it..

Briefly, you'll summed up here all the right reasons to leave the country.. Sad, but true..

*LEO* 07.02.2006 12:25

NetSkipper,
Thanks for correcting me. :wink:
I've corrected you a bit too. Hope you don't mind. :-)

BTW - "neighbors" is exactly what I ment. You made me check the dictionary, both of the words have meaning, but slightly different. Check it.:lol:

I've memorised all those reasons already.
My problems are:
1. They'll never have me and my family (Canada, I mean).
2. My husband doesn't want to go anywhere... Guess why? He doesn't want to leave his mom here all by herself. And she wouldn't go with us.
Ha-ha.
So, I can stuff those resons in.... you've guessed already?

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper

Well, I like forests also, but I like the ocean (or in our case, the sea) too..
My biggest dream is, a tree house in the middle of a small forest, or on the cliff near the ocean..

You can find this in Canada. I've seen pictures... Two best friends of ours are over there now. And they don't want to come back. I wonder why? :wink:

name777 07.02.2006 15:12

An insider perspective: ;)

Education - this is the only reason you should not seriously consider - education sucks in Canada. The only chance to get your kid raised well educated is to find the way to his/her heart to make him/her be eager to learn. For those smart and wanting, there's some chance to get a governmental sponsorship and to move to a better school. Public education sucks. Professional education - expensive, but there are some options: get a bank loan for a college or uni, and return it back after you graduate, or as a parent you can collect money for your kid's uni and the goverment will add a half of what you've collected for free.
Culture - true. There's no worse thing on the planet than Asian mentality. I was born and grown in Kazakhstan, and I can tell you - I hate the way Kazakstan people treat those around them. I don't mean a specific nation, it's applicable to almost all living in those regions. Canada has true multi-nationalism, a lot of tolerance to each other's life style, and the environment that makes this national symbiosys successfull. There's no such place in the world as Toronto, where you could find so many good restaurants from all over the world. ;)
Nature - it's just beautiful. Actually the nature is everywhere. The local communities take care of each and every tree and squirrell around. There's a small park in every block, even in huge cities. Racoons and squirrells are like street cat's and dog's backhome. And speaking about all Canada - there's many types of landscape here. NetSkipper would have found Vancouver extremely suitable for his dreams of the best place in the world :) Ocean, mountains, no snow all around the year. Personally, I like having separate seasons, that's why I like Toronto - it's very close to RU/KZ's climat.
Scale - true. Canada's huge, although people mostly live around the US border. The north is populated very poorly. There's many ways to find your niche here, so my position is - those, who complains, are just lazy and not smart enough. This country has more registered small businesses than people ;)
Neighbors - well, it really depends. Even here, if you leave in a russian/black you can find all sort of bustards. So I would say - shit happens everywhere.
Nationality - noone cares of it. One example. At my work, every friday muslims go to a mosk for a prayer, and noone would mind. Jews continue having their own celebrations or rules - noone would care. But sometimes it get's me really pissed off, like in a situation, when the police had to make an amendments in their policies to allow sikhs wear their stupid turbans at work. Isn't that stupid? Too liberal country from my point of view, but I agree that I might be wrong :)
Oh, yeah, and there's no war of course. The only attacks Canada's making and receiving back are mocks about US-Canada mentality. Remember "South Park"? "Blame Canada, Blame Canada!!!" :)

Lala 07.02.2006 15:15

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
NetSkipper,

BTW - "neighbors" is exactly what I ment. You made me check the dictionary, both of the words have meaning, but slightly different. Check it.:lol:

Neighbour - BrE
Neighbor - AmE

That is the difference... no more no less

*LEO* 08.02.2006 10:12

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
An insider perspective: ;)

Education - this is the only reason you should not seriously consider - education sucks in Canada. The only chance to get your kid raised well educated is to find the way to his/her heart to make him/her be eager to learn. For those smart and wanting, there's some chance to get a governmental sponsorship and to move to a better school. Public education sucks. Professional education - expensive, but there are some options: get a bank loan for a college or uni, and return it back after you graduate, or as a parent you can collect money for your kid's uni and the goverment will add a half of what you've collected for free.

I see that you've never studied in Israel. :-)
A friend of mine is a teacher; she has to deal mostly with 6-8 year-old children. They call her names (in a very dirty language), and there is nothing of whatsoever she can do about it. And just think about it - in Soviet Union did ANYONE could (or even thought!) call his teacher "a whore"?! 8O
I didn't even know those words when I was 8... The thing is, that 7 first classes are "a must" here, so it doesn't matter how these children learn or behave, they will pass... High school is different. But not the mentality...

University... I can only dream about such thing. I'm glad that my husband has this option - his mother pays for it. I hadn't had such luck... Oh, by the way - if you're not smart and talented (how do you spell it?..) enough for UV - you'll have to get your degree in a colledge, and it costs even more. Sponsorship? You can get a small discount, nothing serious....

So - compare, and then you'll be able to know what you've got.:-P

Lala 08.02.2006 12:29

About University... Come on, guys, there is no reason to be so pessimistic.There are still many countries where u can get higher education without paying tuition. I got two degrees in Russia (Bachelor's and Specialist's Degrees in Linguistics) and now Im getting my Master's Degree (M. of Philosophy in Comparative and International Education) in the University of Oslo. Trust me I did not pay a single penny for my education ...ever! Beside Norway and Russia, free education is in Denmark, Greece, Sweden, Germany (till 2007), etc.... So, cheer up!

*LEO* 08.02.2006 12:36

Lala,Why should I cheer up?:-)I don't live in Greece, nor in Germany or Sweden. And I won't live there, even if I want to... So, I (and many others) have to deal with other reality.

Lala 08.02.2006 12:48

butterfly, nobody makes you live there.... It is a popular tendency now to Study abroad. Besides, there are thousands of possibilities of distant education. Stay at home - study abroad.

NetSkipper 08.02.2006 19:25

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
A friend of mine is a teacher; she has to deal mostly with 6-8 year-old children.

I am a teacher (not really part of the system though), and I'm dealing with 6-13 yr old kids.. So...
And leave the kids aside.. I'll have to write an encyclopedia about the teachers, if I'll wanna describe how they "teach", threat children, and so on..
I assure you, you can't even imagine in your worst dreams what is happening there..

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
University... I can only dream about such thing.

Yeap, a distant dream..

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
Come on, guys, there is no reason to be so pessimistic.

Lala, I'll be short.. It's because our damn weather, and I have no inspiration to write anything..
All that you wrote here, sounds very easy to you, and yes, personally I belive, that there is nothing impossible, and if one is wanna do someting, he should rise and do it, but try to leave our reality. Try to leave in Israel, without any support. Not even mental, spiritual, or wahtever. And I'm keeping my mouth shut about parents.. It's always easy to observe from another situation, and give tips, I know that.. But the reality is even uglier than WE imagine it..
(my brain ain't functionin' now.. so I barely understand what I wrote..)

Lala 08.02.2006 20:18

NetSkipper, I understand, hehe.... But you know my parents are in Russia, not of a great help, right? First time I left them I was 20, I went to USA to work.... without knowing a single person over the ocean. That was scary indeed. Then I came to Norway to study, entered the University with no help or assistance of anyone. It is not easy. I never said so. But if u don't do anything risky how can u actually achieve something?
Now, thank goodnees, I found a job. And my salary exceeds all my expectations. It is worth it, I know.

name777 09.02.2006 04:58

Lala, my honest respect to you! Well done! I mean it, I always admire people who's able to stand up and make their own choice.
Education abroad is cool, although there's specific in Canada too. Canadians don't like diplomas from outside the country. Only well-known universities are appreciated here. It may work in most cases, but for example you can't be a medic here unless you have either local diploma, or go through long and costy recertification. Thanks God I'm an IT guy :)

NetSkipper 09.02.2006 06:03

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
NetSkipper, I understand, hehe

Lala, sorry, but I think you don't. I hope, as much as it possible in written way, that I won't sound cynical, or sarcastic, but your story is another "hero", tear droping story. "I came from the bottom, and look where I am now". I don't mean to disrespect you, on the contrary, I give you all the respect, but you just don't familiar with our reality. It is easy to
Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
admire people who's able to stand up and make their own choice

But try to do that when our f***in government tackle you everywhere you'll go.
I'm not sayin' that I'm givin' up.. but not in Israel. I'm not intend to bust my ass 20 hours a day, and not able to see a daylight, to watch a decent movie, or go with my friends to local bar just to get a degree, and then hang the diploma in the WC, because in Israel it is possible that even with a diploma, I won't able to find a decent job.

*LEO* 09.02.2006 08:56

I'm so proud of you, Lala, you can't even imagine!.. And I'm sure you deserve it, because all this success is a product of your hard work. Really, I'm taking off my hat....:-)
And I'm sure, that if I was a bit smarter, :? I would've been in some place else, and wasn't the only parent supporting our small family.
Of course, if I wouldn't be stupid enough to get pregnant at the age of 18, I would've been working in Milano (I was a podium model back then, and my agent was going to send me there.)... Of course, it would've given me more possibilities.

But now it's a bit funny for me to think about "studying abroad", when I don't have any spare money even for the ticket...
So the only option I had is local univertsities - but hey, who's gonna pay for that? And there's another thing:

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
...because in Israel it is possible that even with a diploma, I won't able to find a decent job...

Yep, that's the story here...
:roll:

Lala 09.02.2006 09:52

name777, first, thanks, must admit that it was very pleasant to read your thoughts. :lol:
second, graduates from Medical and Law departments always have problems while confirming their education abroad. I agree. But it is quite understandable. Would you trust a lawyer that knows the Criminal Code of his country but not of yours? or the doctor that practises herbal cure which is a very popular tendency in his country? We are both lucky enough,:wink: IT and English are universal realities :-D

NetSkipper, I do understand, don't worry. And I do confess that everything I achieved so far was not only because of my hard efforts, ambitions or motivation, but mainly because of the pure luck, the circumstances that made everything possible. However, I must say that no matter what is happening in your life you shouldn't let anybody treat you like dirt. Be purposeful and I am sure you will get what you what. Otherwise what would be the meaning of life??

butterfly, goodness, you have an amazing life! Became a model, got a wonderful daughter. Yes, we are to choose everyday, and you chose this path. But who said it was no good? It is great! Id love to have a daughter like yours! I mean it... and would give a lot for this. So I am actually as proud of you as you are proud of me:-D

*LEO* 09.02.2006 10:03

Lala,

Yeah, you're probably right.

I'm not sure, that they say it in English, but in Russia they say "Neighbor's grass is always greener"...
And it's also a matter of choise - we chose something, and have to give up something else. We have only one life, and sometimes it's hard to know which path is better. Those, who achieved a good sallary may feel lonely without family, 'cause they hadn't much time to have kids and such... And vice versa...

It's just the way I am, I want everything and right now :-)

NetSkipper 09.02.2006 10:17

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
However, I must say that no matter what is happening in your life you shouldn't let anybody treat you like dirt. Be purposeful and I am sure you will get what you what. Otherwise what would be the meaning of life??

Lala, who you stands me for? Who said that I'm letting them? On the contrary, I'll eat dirt myself, but stand my principals. I spent two weeks at military prison, just because I didn't let them do with me whatever they like. I "ate" military detentions like no one else, just because my opinion was the last one. No, if I have a target, I'll get to the finsih line, no matter what..
But, again, you don't understand the situation here. No matter what I'll do, no matter what I'll try to gain, there is someone who will shut a huge iron door at my face, and I won't be able to open it, no matter what I'll do, and how purposeful and good I am in what I'm doing. So please, I'm asking of you, you've never been in Israel, and dealt with our situation. I'm not capable to explain you the whole idea here, but you can't say that you do understand us, and you can't understand our frustration, untill you face it by yourself..

Lala 09.02.2006 10:56

NetSkipper, I do not "stand you for anything"! Do not accept everything so literally. I did not mean you! Not at all. I just explain my views on life.

Ok, ok... I give up "understanding"... :-D

NetSkipper 09.02.2006 11:03

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
I just explain my views on life.

And they are acceptable by me. They are also similar to mine, but I'm just beeing realistic, and just explain our situation. :|

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
Ok, ok... I give up "understanding"... :-D

Your are most welcome to Israel and our little gatherings, where we could discuss everything we wish for.. :wink: :mrgreen:

Lala 09.02.2006 11:14

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper

Your are most welcome to Israel and our little gatherings, where we could discuss everything we wish for.. :wink: :mrgreen:

Deal! :wink:

name777 09.02.2006 17:20

NetSkipper - "No matter what I do, no matter what I try to gain, there will be someone who..." ;)
butterfly, in Russian they say "It's always better where there's no us.", what you mentioned is an English saying "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." ;)
I was wondering guys, if it's that bad there, why can't you try to get a refugee status, for example in Canada? But you should get some documentary proofs to do that, of course.

Lala 09.02.2006 17:58

Цитата:

was wondering guys, if it's that bad there, why can't you try to get a refugee status, for example in Canada?
I had a similar idea....

NetSkipper 13.02.2006 11:40

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
Deal! ;-)

I take your word for it. ;-)

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
NetSkipper - "No matter what I do, no matter what I try to gain, there will be someone who..." ;-)

EXACTLY!! :-D Sad, but true. :-(

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
I was wondering guys, if it's that bad there, why can't you try to get a refugee status, for example in Canada? But you should get some documentary proofs to do that, of course.

Could you be more specific about that issue please?

name777 13.02.2006 14:49

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
Could you be more specific about that issue please?

Unfortunately, can't explain you any specifics, since I don't have anyone who would share their experience. But I know for sure, that Canada accepts a lot refugees from all around the world. Like lately there's a lot of gypsies appeared in Montreal, they say :) Here's the link where you can find out more details http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/index.html

angellips 13.02.2006 15:37

Lala,
I hope, really hope, that doing something risky is always worth it. But... I'm in US, I'm all the time doing something... something that doesn't seem helpfull. Compairing living back home I live much better, but why I just want to come back?.. I studied a lot before - it was the only thing I loved to do. But I can't just leave this country too to go to study somewhere in Europe because it's free! There is more questions than answers. The main one about documents. If you've put all afforts to get them in one country can you just leave everything and go to another. Story about "I did everything by myself and I live good now" doesn't seem realistic to me. Always there has to be someone helping, atleast advicing.

Lala 13.02.2006 16:19

Цитата:

Сообщение от angellips
Lala,
I hope, really hope, that doing something risky is always worth it. But... I'm in US, I'm all the time doing something... something that doesn't seem helpfull. Compairing living back home I live much better, but why I just want to come back?.. I studied a lot before - it was the only thing I loved to do. But I can't just leave this country too to go to study somewhere in Europe because it's free! There is more questions than answers. The main one about documents. If you've put all afforts to get them in one country can you just leave everything and go to another.

What do you actually mean? What is wrong with your documents? American certificants are accepted everywhere in Europe. If you think that European standrads are worse than American, remember about Bologna declaration. There are 40 countries that signed it. The standards are harominzed. In my group there are 5 American girls from New York, Chicago, LA, and Washington (state). All of them are about 30 years old or a bit more. You know, I think they had their life before too...and documents. The funny thing is that they actually LEFT the country because the education in Norway was (and still is) free of charge. You are 23... just like me. But you discuss this topic as if your life is getting over. Come on..it is just starting! And if you always loved to study, just do it, go and study!:lol: :wink:
Цитата:

Story about "I did everything by myself and I live good now" doesn't seem realistic to me. Always there has to be someone helping, atleast advicing.
Regard me as one of your advisors then!:mrgreen: :wink:

angellips 13.02.2006 16:38

Lala,
I've got much more problems. If you really lived in states as person with no help you'll figure it out. Whatever I do here I can call just fighting for living. I can't think now about higher values as european educantion - any education is a dream for me. And my goal. This country making me pessimistic. I contact bunch of my friends who's staying at home and having theire normal lifes and just wondering - was everything I did right? I'm always going strait in achieving my goal but here's a question - was goal set right? You're right, I'm not old, but not young too. I already need family and children what is not for risky life... And I still have my dream. Simple one. Do not work like I work now.

Lala 13.02.2006 16:47

angellips, Sorry to hear.... you know I really want to help you. You should not leave your dream somewhere behind. Of course, you always need some finances in your pocket if you are applying to a Self-financed programme. It is not easy to find a job at once. But if you are still a citizen of Russia (you have a Russian passport) you can try to apply for a Quota programme and You will be paid! and it is quite ok, 6000 krones a month, which is 1000 US dollars. Besides, it is not that unrealistic. There are many scholarships. At least in University of Oslo.

angellips 13.02.2006 17:02

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
which is 1000 US dollars.

quite ok? I don't think so. It's cheaper in states...
But thanks! You're so nice!
P.S. I'm in f...king process of getting papers. And I'm belarussian. ;)

Lala 13.02.2006 21:07

Цитата:

Сообщение от angellips
quite ok? I don't think so. It's cheaper in states...

What cheaper? U did'nt get. You don't need to pay. It is your scholarship. You will be paid! So I think you can live ok having 1000 dollars a month.
Цитата:

But thanks! You're so nice!
P.S. I'm in f...king process of getting papers. And I'm belarussian. ;)
Belorussia is in the list of Quota countries too. So there is no difference for you.

angellips 14.02.2006 04:49

Sorry, I didn't understand that. Anyway - you're lucky and I'm glad to hear that somebody is doing good. There is probably some unlucky fates getting ready in heaven for some people too. Thank you. I'll remember what you said.

Lala 14.02.2006 10:20

angellips, Unfortunately, I m not a quota student..Just an ordinary self-financed.:x :wink:

name777 14.02.2006 13:51

Heh, jeden das seine. I never wanted to get back especially because of no hard work there. Is it really good when you're just hanging around doing nothing usefull in your life?
23 is not young?!! Give me a break, please. I'd like to hear you when you are 30. Haha. At that age you'll be saying - Oh, how increadibly stupid I was, thinking my life is done, loosing my best chances and my best years. If you're stuck at your job, tell them to go f.k themselves and start something new. Don't be one of native north-american Loosers, who quit highschool to work as a plumber for the rest of their lives, thinking it's cool and enough for a living, and blaming immigrants for that!!!

*LEO* 15.02.2006 17:37

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
angellips, Unfortunately, I m not a quota student..Just an ordinary self-financed.:x :wink:

Why? :?

angellips 15.02.2006 20:08

name777,
Booo... So angry... As I told I've a dream and I'll do everything to achieve it. Dream is - to be a marketer. That's it. I know how to do it. I was talking about loosing time in this country waiting for documents, I can't help it and time passing quickly and I still can fail... :( . I wanted to come back to have an opportunity to do my favourite job. I'm in a trash class in USA now, show me anybody who can like it? And, yes, 23 is young. But if I'll be deported from this country - I'll be atleast 25 and it's old to begin career in Belarus. Furthermore I need family, I have somebody... I want to have a baby, I don't want to be a mother at 30... I'm just woman.

name777 15.02.2006 23:30

I'm being angry, because it's never late to start changing your life. People, who immigrate are changing the career path at the age of 45! But you probably the one brought there by their parents? So, if you are in such a rush mode, why would you spend your 2 years in trash class, waiting for being deported? Why don't you go back to Belarus and start your career at 23, before you're 25 and it's too late? To me it sounds like a big joke. Even being a trash class, you can save money for the ticket within 2 months.

Lala 16.02.2006 14:41

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Why? :?

I was not lucky enough. They took another Russian girl, but she quitted half a year later...:-D Wrong choice! However, I am quite happy. I do not need this scholarship right now.:-)

Lala 16.02.2006 14:48

angellips,name777, it is strange sometimes how we feel our age. Some people feel much older than they actually are. It isn't that bad, however, it deprives some opportunities. angellips, you have your dream. Great dream. Do you actually care for it? Do not give up. It is better late than never.

angellips 16.02.2006 15:52

name777,
Oh, it's not that bad here and I won't loose my opportunity. If I'll get my documents, I'll go to college or university, I can transfer my subjects from Belarus, I've passed 4 years there. And I'll have just one more year to study and than... live as good human beeing in states. I'm just beeing depressed because of all those things I have to do before. And, yeah, I have enough money for the ticket, for lawer (thousands, thousands...), for regular car and good living. I work hard to get what I want to get. And I better try and be risky, as Lala said. Conversation began about leaving everything and going to Europe to study, not about lost opportunites. And trash class for me - doing any physical job, as waitress specially, but in a good restaurant for not too bad money... And the most strong reason to come back for me is to take care about parents, they're alone now. But they want me to try change my life to better, so... I'm staying.
Lala, Thank you. You make me think positive. Thanks a lot for that! It's good when good people happy. So, be happy!

angellips 16.02.2006 15:59

Changing subject. How was Valentine's day in your countries? In USA it's a lot of sweets, baloons and flowers. Everybody's giving presents each other... But as always they don't know how to celebrate.

name777 16.02.2006 16:38

Hehe. I'm fed up with chocolate! LOL

angellips 16.02.2006 18:01

name777,
:-)

NetSkipper 16.02.2006 18:33

Цитата:

Сообщение от angellips
How was Valentine's day in your countries?

Huh? :? There was Valentine? Naahh..

*LEO* 18.02.2006 06:15

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
angellips,name777, it is strange sometimes how we feel our age. Some people feel much older than they actually are.

Yeah, I've noticed. Add me ten more years, and you'll get my true age, not the one that's in my pasport. :|

Lala 18.02.2006 15:17

angellips, Valentine's Day? goodness... I just remember Valentine's night.:-D :oops:

name777 18.02.2006 18:13

Lala, hahaha, that was a good one!

*LEO* 19.02.2006 10:07

Guys, here some good news...:-)

I had no idea about it till now, but I'm actually four months pregnant.8O
I'll have my second child in about... july.
So, you'll see less of me in the nearest future. I hope, our club won't die without me. :wink:

NetSkipper 19.02.2006 11:46

butterfly, yepi!!! Congratulations again!!
How's that, that you didn't know till now?

*LEO* 19.02.2006 16:02

NetSkipper,
I had some problem with hormones, so there were some signes, that I took for granted... And I didn't feel anything of what I felt during my first pragnancy. There were no long "talks" with the toilet every morning, I mean... :-)
I was in a real shok, when I saw "it" on the ultrasound today (I don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet, but I will know soon, in about two weeks.) It was a real baby, just very small. I'm still in shok, to tell you the truth.

NetSkipper 19.02.2006 20:31

butterfly, you were planned to have a baby?

name777 19.02.2006 21:09

butterfly, wow, respect! You're so lucky! My sincere congratulations!

*LEO* 20.02.2006 08:23

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
butterfly, you were planned to have a baby?

Not at all!8O
My husband is still having a hard time to get used to the idea... :?
We didn't want any more children, for us - one was more than enough. (both me and him don't have any brothers and sisters, so it was ok from our point of view...)

I don't know how much time it will take him to chill, me... I'm ok, though it's a bit hard for me... I was sure I'll never have to go through this again.
Lesson learned - Never say never...

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
butterfly, wow, respect! You're so lucky! My sincere congratulations!

NetSkipper 20.02.2006 08:37

butterfly, well, you should think positive.. Abortion is not a option I assume, any case not at this stage. Health is more important than everything. And I'm sure that you'll love this kid as much as you love you daughter.. :-)

May I ask something more invasive?

*LEO* 21.02.2006 05:44

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
May I ask something more invasive?

Try me.:-P

NetSkipper 21.02.2006 10:41

butterfly, how did you manage to get to this situation?

*LEO* 21.02.2006 10:49

NetSkipper,
I told you. I had some problems before that. They stopped importing to Israel my type of pilles. So I lost some precios days till I got to the doctor and got a recipie for something else. But since I've lost a couple of days, I had to wait almost a month!
Then something strange happend. I did a blood test three months ago, and it came negative. Now I'm four and a half months pregnant. Question: What the hell?.. :?

NetSkipper 24.02.2006 08:26

To all the members of our little club, I want to recommend to download and watch this movie. :idea:

*LEO* 24.02.2006 15:26

Can you give a bit information about the movie?

NetSkipper 24.02.2006 22:34

butterfly,
Цитата:

Uniting two former rival nations, Mission to Mir is an unique tour of the Russian Space Station Mir. Filmed in by American astronauts, the film examines their relationships with Mir's cosmonauts as they live, work and entertain in a zero-gravity environment. Join record-setting space pioneer Shannon W. Lucid with her colleagues inside their weightless home against a panorama of spectacular space scenery.
Цитата:

Сообщение от Amazon.com review
This IMAX video takes you through the first flights and cooperative training that joined the US and Russia on MIR. It chronicles what US astronauts experienced in their training with the Russian cosmonauts in preparation for their experiences aboard MIR. Never before seen footage of Russian space sites and training along with footage of the first woman aboard MIR Shannon Lucid are included. This video gives you the history and work that led up to the eventual construction, launch and deployment of today's International Space Station.

This pretty much describes the movie. It's a must see for all the Discovery fans and so.. The footages in this movie are amazing. You just have to see it. There isn't much to say about it..

Damn, I can't sleep, and I have to be up in less than an hour and a half.. :-(

nimb 26.02.2006 23:15

Hi! How are you everybody? Can i study English with you?

Lala 27.02.2006 17:38

nimb, I'm not sure that you can study it with us. But you can definitely practise it here!:lol: :wink:

NetSkipper 27.02.2006 17:59

Цитата:

Сообщение от nimb
Hi! How are you everybody? Can i study English with you?

Цитата:

Сообщение от Lala
nimb, I'm not sure that you can study it with us. But you can definitely practise it here!

Or, to be more accurate, here or here, depends on your level ;-) :mrgreen:

*LEO* 03.03.2006 05:15

They say when you're pregnant, you should listen to classic music. I think that you should listen to music that just makes you feel good.
That's what I'm listenning to right now:

Travis
Love Will Come Through

If I told you a secret
You won't tell a soul
Will you hold it and keep it alive
Cause it's burning a hole
And I can't get to sleep
And I can't live alone in this lie

So look up
Take it away
Don't look da-da-da- down the mountain

If the world isn't turning
Your heart won't return
Anyone, anything, anyhow

So take me don't leave me
Take me don't leave me
Baby, love will come through it's just waiting for you

Well I stand at the crossroads
Of highroads and lowroads
And I got a feeling it's right

If it's real what I'm feeling
There's no makebelieving
The sound of the wings of the flight of a dove

Take it away
Don't look da-da-da down the mountain
Your heart won't return anyone anything anyhow...

Take me don't leave me

So look up
Take it away
Don't look da-da-da- down

Your heart won't return anyone anything anyhow...

Take me don't leave me

Love will come through
Love will come through
Love will come through:-)

By the way, I was wandering. Lets say you're in public transport, and the driver is listening to something hideous (They usually are...). If I'm taking a mp3 player and starting to listen to my own music, which one does the baby hear? :?

name777 03.03.2006 08:30

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
By the way, I was wandering. Lets say you're in public transport, and the driver is listening to something hideous (They usually are...). If I'm taking a mp3 player and starting to listen to my own music, which one does the baby hear? :?

The baby definitely hears the driver's music. Because baby would listen to the environmental vibes through your body, not to a tiny unnoticable vibrations of your internal ear.

*LEO* 03.03.2006 08:39

name777,
Yeah, that's what I think too.:-) Isn't it frustrating?..

*LEO* 08.03.2006 13:48

name777,
By the way - how is your cat? You promised to give us an updated picture of her.

Me and my husband had a fight. He wanted to rid away of our dog long ago, and with all the news about baby coming, he tried to push it a little bit harder, and started to talk about "No good to keep a big dog in a house with a small child" and e.t.c... :evil:
I had to remind him three things:
1. In ancient England they used to put a small puppy in baby's bed, to keep him company and to keep him warm.
2. I was the one who took the dog, so he can not give it away, because our girl is too fond of it, she loves it very much.
3. I'm the boss in the house, damn it. :wink:
Amasingly, it worked...

*LEO* 27.03.2006 10:06

I wonder where is NetSkipper?
Haven't seen him for a while, not here, not in any other topic...

*LEO* 02.04.2006 09:46

A man visits God and says "God, do you mind if I ask you a
few questions?" God says "No, ask me anything at all."

So the man says "God, you've been around for a very long time,
so, for you, how long is a thousand years?"

God replies "For me, a thousand years is only five minutes."

The man then says "That's interesting God. And, for you,
how much is a million dollars?"

God replies "For me, a million dollars is only five cents."

The man says "Really? Well then God, could you lend me
five cents please?"

God looks at the man, smiles, and says "Of course my son.
Just wait five minutes!"

Vit0 04.04.2006 15:14

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
I wonder where is NetSkipper?
Haven't seen him for a while, not here, not in any other topic...

Netskipper is out of forum. His decision...

Lala 04.04.2006 16:51

Vit0, interesting....:roll:

*LEO* 04.04.2006 17:18

Yes, I was afaraid he might do so. After our phone conversation I understood he just might leave us for good.

It's very sad when people can't get along even in the world wide web... And when they don't get along - they can't even ignore each other. They have to "slam the door", even if they lose more friends than enemies...

I guess this club will be even more empty without him than it was before...8)

Mariukas 04.04.2006 17:27

Цитата:

Сообщение от Vit0
Netskipper is out of forum. His decision...

Could You explain us....?

*LEO* 05.04.2006 08:56

Mariukas,
I don't think he can, it's supposed to be a huge "hush". Here, in friends-forum, we sometimes can't get along together, but usually, after the big "bang", we try not to show the dirty laundry to other friends. :? We just dissapear or shut up...

... I think we'll have to axept that NetSkipper has left the building.

Vit0 05.04.2006 09:23

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
I think we'll have to exept that NetSkipper has left the building.

You have a contrast here: specify if you mean except or accept.

*LEO* 05.04.2006 14:12

Vit0,
Oh, my fault! :1: Sorry! :-P Excuse me! How could I?!:x
It won't happen again, promise.:38: Cross my heart:64: hope to die.:82:

I think you're just changing the subject; you're the one Mariukas asked the for explanation, as you're seem to be the most informed among us.:wink:

alexdina 05.04.2006 18:53

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
Glad you asked.
I guess it depends on what kind of english you want to learn.
And that's getting us to my favorite subject on that matter - books.

Reading books is the one and the only way to learn both classic english, and slang (so-called "slanguage"). It depends on the book.

For example - I honestly recomend a book by Sallenger "The catcher in the rye" ("Над пропастью во ржи").
It gives you a good deal of "street" language, and there is nothing wrong in a street language. You're actually understand it better than the one they use in most literature, it's great for learning.

Glad (глэд) - радоваться
depends (депендз)- зависит
matter (мэттеr) - вещество, материал, сущьность, предмет (обсуждения), дело; "what is the matter?" - "что случилось?"
honestly (онестли)- честно, искренне.("h" в начале слова почти не произносится)
use (юз)- использовать, употре*****. ( а так же: польза, обыкновение,цель, назначение)

that's realy true,there in canada and usa more speakers use slang and idioms,whithout knowing slang you can't say you know english

Vit0 05.04.2006 21:36

Цитата:

Сообщение от butterfly
I think you're just changing the subject; you're the one Mariukas asked the for explanation, as you're seem to be the most informed among us.

You're right! I am.
Look, I suddenly got an incoming message from who would you think? ;)

Цитата:

Сообщение от NetSkipper
Dear members of our little club,
Vit0 informed me that you've asked and showed some interest about myself.
I wanted to give you a little statement, because I'm feeling an obligation to the club members (both the English and Hebrew) and the whole Полиглот section, but I'm not feeling at my best this days. No need to worry, I'm well known as a "bullet dodger", so I'll survive another one.. When I'll feel better, I'll "drop" a message to all of you thru Vit0. I don't want to do it in a rush, and would like to think about every word twice, in order to avoid another "tornado" on the FF, and also avoid from "executing" Vit0 as a messenger.
:64: :82: :wink:
Thank you all, and have a nice day.

Wise 19.04.2006 01:42

"I have been saying for many years that we are using the word ‘guru’ only because ‘charlatan’ is too long to fit into a headline. "
Peter Drucker, (quoted in D James, "Peter Drucker, the man who changed the world", Business Review Weekly, 15 September 1997, p.49)

angellips 19.04.2006 05:29

Wise,
Peter Drucker... nice... good business theorist. I almost forgot about him. Thanks for reminding - good for my becoming degraded in US brain. :)

Dorinem 19.04.2006 20:37

Hello!
Let me join this useful part of the forum.
Since we're already talking English (or at least trying to), I suppose most of us are interested in improving English, not in really learning it.
Let me introduce you to the most useful resourse for this task - subscription to "Word of the Day" via www.yourdictionary.com site. It provides you every day with a new word - sometimes as simple as "mother" and sometimes as strange as "ranivorous".
They give you the meaning, suggested usage and etymology - and all in the most funny and most seriouse ways. Highly recommended.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what are your ways of improving your English level?

P.S. If you find some mistakes in my post or simply know the way to say it better - please let me know! This is what I'm here for.

*LEO* 20.04.2006 10:25

Dorinem,
Nice to see you here, glad you've decided to join us - wellcome!
I remember you from paintball forum meeting a week ago. You might remember me also - I was one of the two pregnant women, ( the one who was younger and with bigger belly). :wink:

My ways of improving English are well known here - it's mostly books and films without translation, (or with titles). But I would love to hear others on this issue too.

(I prefer reading. Lately I've been reading all the "Harry Potter" books, "The Lord of the Rings" and lately I have nothing to read in English OR in Russian. Shame on me. )

And, BTW, I haven't found mistakes in your post, but you might find some in mine. Feel free to correct me. :-)

Часовой пояс GMT, время: 14:06.