Форум

Форум (http://friends-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Английский Язык (http://friends-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Lets speak English (Английский клуб) (http://friends-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17187)

*LEO* 20.04.2006 10:25

Цитата:

Сообщение от Wise
"I have been saying for many years that we are using the word ‘guru’ only because ‘charlatan’ is too long to fit into a headline. "
Peter Drucker, (quoted in D James, "Peter Drucker, the man who changed the world", Business Review Weekly, 15 September 1997, p.49)

Nice one :-)

Dorinem 20.04.2006 16:55

Hi, butterfly, nice to know it was you!
As for ways for improving English - films and books are great, but it's obvious. I, personnaly, just can't see films in English with translation to Russian - you loose so much this way! As for me, it's a pitty that in this forum all films are in Russian.
But I feel that by reading books I mostly learn new words - which is great, but not enough for my aims.
The thing is that I want to know English as good as mother tongue, and I have problems in talking and writing (understanding is pretty OK).
Another big problem of mine - in a couple of months I will start writing my thesis - and I'll do it in English. It looks like a big mission to me, so I'm thinking of ways to make things easier.
Oh my, it was a long post!:roll:
Spread ideas!

*LEO* 21.04.2006 06:51

Dorinem,

1. If it's possible to find films ONLY in English, we can open our own library of non-translated films. Or maybe - just with subtitles. This issue was brought up before, so I understand, that many people share the same interest - films in English without translation.
It's just I, personaly, don't understand much about e-mule and stuff, so I can only "talk the talk". I wonder have we anyone here, who can also "walk the walk", and make this idea work.

2. Reading books is not ONLY new words, it's also an ability to write. You say you have to write a thesis in English, belive me, you have all the skills for writing.:idea:

3.BTW, what are you need to write a thesis in English for? What is it that you're learning?

4. To SPEAK English as if it was your mother tongue. I understand you, I would like that too. But for that there is only one cure - talking it. It's the ultimative way, and it's the only way.
So you better find yourself in an English-speakind country for a couple of months, and that's all. I was in such for only two weeks, not speaking any language exept English (and sometimes hebrew), and when I came back, it was hard for me to speak russian; although it felt very nice to switch to my real mother tongue, I'll tell you that. :-)

Dorinem 21.04.2006 09:07

Hi!
The idea of movies in English (with titles in English is even better) is great, awesome, magnifisent. I know absolutely nothing about sharing films by e-Mule, but I'm eager to learn. By the way, maybe you as a forum old-timer may tell me whom can I ask about it or where is it written?
As for my thesis - I'm doing now my second degree in biology, and I decided that nobody needs thesis in biology in Hebrew, because biology is by defenetion is a science in English (all the terms are exclusively in English). Besides, maybe I'll expand my career to other contries, who knows.
Talking English is absolutely great, I improved my talking ability when I was working in lab where lab-head was american, and I insisted to talk to him only in English. It was a disaster in the beginning (for him mostly), but I've got my goals. But since then I have no practice, I only hear lectures in English.

But my real problem is that I mostly improve my Biological English - which is completely different language.:33:

*LEO* 23.04.2006 17:41

Dorinem,
I think, the only thing we can do about films is apply to those in the TECH section of the forum which is connected to movies, e-mule and stuff like that. I can not think of anything else... There should be some way to do this (take away the russian translation or find non-translated ones.) My dream is to have Lord of the Rings threlogy without this horrible voice turning such a good text to a disaster. We have discussed it before in this topic, here: (it was hillarious). :-)

And about biology - sounds very familiar. My husband is getting his first biology degree in Tel Aviv university now, but he actualy thinks about switching to nursary afterwards; he figures that he doesn't have much chances (nor time) to go for a second degree. It seems like there is no chance of finding a job with first degree now...
And I've read some of his learning books, and - oh my god - it's sooooo technical. With all my love to English I would lose my marbles after a month or so...

***After I wrote this post, I figured that I can't remember the spelling - "chanse" or "chance"? And I don't have much enegry now to go and look it up in the dictionary... :lol::lol::lol:

Lala 24.04.2006 14:13

chance:wink: don't bother searching.

Dorinem 24.04.2006 15:13

OK. I don't think the TECH section will be eager. They told that there are enough English sites with films. The point is that I have a lot of films in English, but sometimes it's not great, I prefer to have titles in English, otherwise I don't understand sometimes.

As for "Lord of the Rings" - I saw it with Hebrew subtitles, so this way you can hear it in English and in some places to use the titles. If I would have seen it in Russian, I suppose I'd just kill myself.

*LEO* 25.04.2006 10:50

Цитата:

Сообщение от Dorinem
As for "Lord of the Rings" - I saw it with Hebrew subtitles, so this way you can hear it in English and in some places to use the titles. If I would have seen it in Russian, I suppose I'd just kill myself.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, I saw the movie with hebrew subtitles on TV, it was OK (as long as you ignore it, 'cause the translation is so-so.) I don't mind ANY subtitles, it's easier to ignore than someone's voice mumbling.

In TECH section - did they give you any information WHERE you can actually find those movies? When you say "on the net" you dont' say anything at all...

The only way I know of - is to make a search on e-mule itself, but it's hard to know what exactly you're downloading, it can be one of horrible quality, or in any other language - chineese, for example.
That's how I got my italian copy of animated "Alladin". The title was in English. You can imagine my surprise, :-o when I realised it's not English they're speaking...:mrgreen:

name777 25.04.2006 13:44

Dorinem, earlier in this thread Netskipper mentioned another one from our site - with english movies.

*LEO* 25.04.2006 13:48

name777,
And where have YOU been all this time?:-o

Цитата:

Сообщение от name777
Dorinem, earlier in this thread Netskipper mentioned another one from our site - with english movies.

Can you help me find it? I've tried, no success.

Часовой пояс GMT, время: 10:47.